Here’s a fun idea for kid-friendly meals that will also help you get rid of some leftovers! If you missed our tips on using leftovers, head over here to check it out! You’ll be able to get creative with this recipe idea, and even be able to make several mini meals in one muffin pan – all different to suit your family’s tastes! Picky eaters in the family? This allows you to customize each meal, and cater to those with specific requirements for theirs. These are also great for on-the-go meals, quick lunches and road trip snacks.
Grab my favorite muffin pan HERE.
For a base, use this recipe:
* 1/2 cup Bisquick
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 eggs
Mix together and put about 1 tablespoon in each muffin cup, and if you choose to, add another tablespoon to the top of your mixtures (listed below)! Use a spatula to spread the mixture around in each cup to coat the sides. Alternatively, you can use plain pancake mix, and forgo the milk and egg. Another idea is to use cornbread mix – just follow the package directions, and put them in each cup.
Now comes the fun! You’ll fill the cups the rest of the way up with leftover chicken and veggies, steak shreds, shrimp or whatever else you have laying around or need to eat up before it expires. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. Even better, you’ll be able to freeze these in freezer bags, take them for lunches and re-heat in the microwave! Sprinkle your favorite seasoning on top for an extra bit of flavoring, before popping into the oven.
1. BBQ chicken + cream cheese: throw on a dollop of sour cream when it’s done cooking, and you have a delicious and unique little meal!
2. Ground Beef (leftover taco meat) and mashed potatoes: this makes for some sweet mini meat loaf or shepherds pies!
3. Egg & mashed potatoes: like getting hash browns, a muffin and egg all in one little cup!
4. Veggies: broccoli, carrots, tomatoes and grilled bell peppers make for this awesome veggie cup!
5. Broccoli, Chicken & Cheese: a mini casserole in the perfect size! You can also see our recipe for Broccoli Chicken Casserole HERE!
6. Chili: leftover homemade chili (get a recipe HERE for Beef & Bacon chili!), topped with diced onions, all cozy inside it’s own little batter cup!
Here are 15 more ideas:
Ground beef, ketchup and cheese over your base will create mini cheeseburger cups! You could add steak sauce, diced onions , relish or whatever else you would normally put on your burger!
Take crumbled Italian sausage and mix with mushrooms, egg, leftover mashed potatoes and ricotta cheese. Put about 2 tablespoons on top of your base, then layer with spinach! You’ll have a unique and flavorful mini meal!
Create your base, then crack an egg into the cup. sprinkle in bits of bacon, cheese and any spices you like! You could also mix the egg with milk and onion powder, and scramble, before pouring into the cup. Brush on some maple syrup around the base before adding other ingredients to really kick this breakfast into high gear!
Use uncooked broccoli florets and mix with a bit of cream cheese, swiss cheese, diced mushrooms and onions, then put 2 spoonfuls into each base-lined cup!